Saturday, January 26, 2013

I'll Walk With You


When I was 10 or 11, I learned a song in Primary called "I'll Walk With You." It quickly became one of my favorites. In fact, I remember being chosen one Sunday during Singing Time to pick any song for us to sing, and that's the one I chose. The words didn't mean much to me - I just liked the melody and the way the song sounded. It is not a very popular song though. I have served in Primary for 6 of the last 8 years, and in all that time I have never heard it sung. I had actually forgotten about it for a time, until recently.

We have an app on the iPad that has most of the songs in the Primary Song Book set to slide shows, with the words for you to sing along with. Abby and Spencer really like it, so we use it often. A few weeks ago we were going through the songs after dinner and came across "I'll Walk With You." I said, "Oh! Mommy likes this song. Let's listen to this one!" I started singing along and about 10 seconds into the song I started to feel incredibly awkward......I realized I was singing about Abby.

If you don't walk as most people do,
Some people walk away from you,
But I won't! I won't!
If you don't talk as most people do,
Some people talk and laugh at you,
But I won't! I won't!
I'll walk with you. I'll talk with you.
That's how I'll show my love for you.
Jesus walked away from none.
He gave his love to ev'ryone.
So I will! I will!
Jesus blessed all he could see,
Then turned and said, "Come, follow me."
And I will! I will!
I will! I will!
I'll walk with you. I'll talk with you.
That's how I'll show my love for you.
 
(If you would like to hear this song, click here.)
 
I felt pretty dumb for being so excited about this song. It was just awkward. There was no emotional break down or anything  (actually I haven't had one of those in SEVERAL months.......pat on the back). And as soon as the song was done we moved on to another one. No big deal. I just couldn't get over how much I loved that song when I was in Primary and now all these years later, it actually has a more personal meaning than I ever could have imagined.
 
Like I said, I haven't heard this song sung at church since I sang it all those years ago. So you can imagine my surprise when during a meeting a few days ago, our music leader suggested that we teach "I'll Walk With You" to the Primary children this year. At that point I had already planned on talking about this song in my post for this week. So seeing it on her list made me laugh. I'm glad the kids will sing it in the Program this year. It's a good song. Maybe it will even become one of someone else's favorite songs.

2 comments:

  1. I have thought about that song as well. I wonder if it was a part of the Primary Program list one year when we were little. My kids don't know it, which is sad.

    Great post, Karalee. I love those little tender mercies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karlee and Anthony,
    Your mother shared with me about this blog posting of a favorite Primary Children's Song of yours that now had a more personal meaning. Yes, this not very often song, (I never heard it???) says it all. We need to follow our Savior, he is the way.

    Thankyou for sharing this simple sweet little song. I passed it along on fb. I'm so happy that your ward primary is going to use it in their Sacrament Meeting Program this year. I'm going to encourage our Hillsdale Ward primary to consider using it, too. It is one the children need to learn and have as part of their testimony.

    I'm so grateful for the Primary Songs of my youth. I LOVE those sweet gospel messages set to music. They have bouyed me up more than once. Some have become our family lullabys, too.

    Love and Friendship,
    Sharreen Touchet

    ReplyDelete