Saturday, January 19, 2013

Happy New Year!

**DISCLAIMER**
I started writing this post 3 weeks ago. It was relevant at the time.......sorry.

We were trying to get Spencer to say "Happy New Year" on New Year's Eve. But all he would say was "Happy Birthday News." In the morning he changed it to "Happy Birthday New Year." I don't know what his fascination is with birthdays, but we couldn't get him to drop that word. We thought it was pretty funny so I tried to get it on video. He wouldn't say it in front of the camera, so I tried using the iPad and reversed the camera so that he was looking at himself. Now, you should know that Spencer LOVES to look at himself. I actually caught him staring at his reflection in a Christmas ornament. He was making faces at himself and it was just too cute. So when he saw himself on the iPad he was quite amused and started making faces again. In the beginning of this clip he is saying something about how he can see himself on the iPad.
"Happy Birthday New Year!"
And just because I think he is cute, here are some more pictures of Spencer.


Since we are at the beginning of a new year, I thought it would be nice to look back at the accomplishments that Abby made during 2012.

* * *

Started crawling Christmas Day 2011
Sits completely unsupported
Started climbing - onto the ottoman, couch, bed, wheelchair, Spencer's crib, stairs......pretty much anything!
Started standing against a wall, but can now stand with support just below her waist (couch level)
Can transition from sitting to standing and from standing to sitting with greater ease
Began to eat everything by mouth and stopped receiving formula
Walks with assistance
Can push a baby doll stroller while walking with assistance
Began using an iPad to make choices
No longer has a long list of doctor appointments on the calender
Can sit in a regular chair (if she wants to)
Can sit in the 'big kid' side of a sit 'n stand stroller
Started Preschool
Was able to wean off one of her major medications
Turned 4!

What a difference a year makes.


We have been spending a lot of time in the backyard these last few weeks.... The summers here are almost unbearable, but the winters are so mild that it almost makes up for it.






Abby loves climbing on and around this little play house. Spencer has no fear.....and that makes me nervous!

For the first time in 20 months, I went to a store with my two kids. Can you believe it? Twenty months. That's how long it's been since Abby's 'event.' And I have just now built up enough courage to go out alone with them both. I have no problem with Spencer, but Abby is so unpredictable that taking her out shopping or running errands just hasn't been an option. But Spencer ran out of diapers. I was feeling particularly brave that day and decided I could probably make it to Target and back as long as we were quick. And guess what - we all survived! We were only gone from the house for a total of 20 minutes, but we did it, and without incident. Abby was great.
I was pretty excited, as you might imagine. But I still wasn't sure if I would be brave enough to try it again. Like I said, Abby is incredibly unpredictable. One minute she seems content and the next she is freaking out and trying to shove her hands down her throat. I don't particularly want to have to deal with that in a checkout line...... But a couple of days ago I decided it was time to try again. This time we went to Wal Mart. Again, it was supposed to be a quick trip. But I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for and we were there for a lot longer than I had intended - I think we were in the store for about 30 minutes.
But everything was fine. No meltdowns. No gagging. I was so happy on the drive home. I felt like I had been given part of my life back - the part that gets to run errands with her kids during the day like a normal mom. It was wonderful. The only downside is that I can only buy what I can carry in my hands. Anything that gets put inside the cart with Spencer will not be relinquished at the register......he is quite possessive. Ha ! 

1 comment:

  1. Love all these pictures! Spencer is getting big. Abby too. And she is looking so good. I am so happy you were able to get out of the house with them both (although I am grateful you have a nice backyard for them to play in). And you are incredible to be appreciative for errands. Such a normal, dreaded thing for most of us.
    Karalee, you never cease to amaze me. Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete