Friday, June 29, 2012

Humpty Dumpty

Abby fell.

Hard.

Right into the corner of a wall.

The gaping hole in the back of her head required staples. She would only let them put in two...
Sorry, this picture doesn't show the staples very well. But the only other one I have is pretty bloody, and I didn't think you would like it...

I was just glad they didn't have to cut her hair. And glad that it didn't end up looking like her last set of staples.
Wow, I had forgotten how long her inscision is. The scar is covered up by her hair now so we don't see it very often.

Anthony took her down to urgent care and some of the people working that evening remembered her from her stitches back in January. Ha! Is that a good thing? I can only imagine what kind of injuries she will acquire when she starts walking. She falls all the time as it is, just trying to stand. Poor thing. She has a lot more body mass than a one-year-old who is learning these skills, so that makes the falls that much harder. But she keeps on trying though. I do have to give her credit for her perseverance. She is DETERMINED to stand on her own and walk. She has been trying over and over for weeks to stand up from her bed and various other objects around the house. It is very admirable. Especially considering that she used to get frustrated so easily before. She would try something maybe 2 or 3 times and then give up and start crying. I'm glad that's not the case now.

And for those of you who are interested, Abby and I had a very good week. One of the best ones we've had in months. Let's keep that going.

Spencer is just too cute for me. He reminds me of Abby A LOT. He constantly turns on the piano and exclaims, "Song! Song!" throughout the day. When I'm not looking he will climb up on the bench, turn it on, and start banging away.

Seeing him up there reminds me of another little family member who also figured out how to turn the piano on all by herself...

Interesting side note: Abby and Spencer are exactly the same age in these photos (19 months). And I didn't even do it on purpose!! I took the picture of Spencer because in my head I could see this picture of Abby. When I pulled it up on the computer I saw the date it was taken and found the coincidence. Nice! I like things like that.

3 comments:

  1. Ouchy that hurts Abby!! But we are proud of you for trying so hard and not giving up.
    We are amazed at the progress you have made and know that you have a ways to go.
    Hey how about asking Grandpa Ellertson to lend you his motorcycle helmet and keep the Ouchies down to a minimum.
    Love you all..
    Grandpa Tony & Grandma Vangie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh no - I can see those staples pretty clearly all right. Sad day! I'm glad you and Abby had a better week - I read your simplify post and I am proud of you for taking the steps necessary to make your life happier. And I am SURE your babysitters would agree that you need some 'you' time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Ouch! I really feel out of the loop with you in primary. I don't hear all your stories as much. I am so happy you had a better week. Hope that continues. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete