I just can't get over how fast her hair is growing back!
I took Abby to see an eye doctor on Monday. He checked her eyes and said the nerves are healthy and working just as they should. So that means her vision is intact. She still has a weak eye, but the doctor said that we can stop patching and it should just get stronger on its own at this point. Great news! Especially since Abby wouldn't leave the patches on anymore....
Abby has been getting stronger. She moves around a lot more on the floor. She rolls with more ease than before and tries to find things she can grab onto to so she can pull herself somewhere. She is a great problem solver! A couple of times she was lying down and pushed herself up into a sit. She only had minimal support, so she did all the work - until she got up into the sit, then she lost her balance...
We got more positive feedback from Abby's physical therapist this week. She can see from the way Abby tries to do certain things that her motor memory is still there. She remembers how to crawl, walk, sit, climb, etc. So that means we aren't trying to teach her to RELEARN those things. We just need to help her regain her strength and coordination so that she can do them on her own. We are pretty excited about that. Even though I always figured she knew it all, it's nice to have someone else point it out.
My favorite new thing this week is Spencer's first word. On Saturday it sounded like he said ABBY. Then he said it several times on Sunday. While a friend watched him on Monday, he wouldn't say it. But as soon as he got home he was repeating it over and over. He crawls around the house all day now saying, "Abby, Abby, Abby." Pretty cool. But here's the best part: before all of this happened I would ask Abby what Spencer was saying when he was cooing and babbling. She would always answer, "He's saying Abby, Abby, Abby!" And now that really is what he's saying! He doesn't babble much of anything else any more. It's just "Abby" all day long. I LOVE it!
I'm loving this update idea!! Great news about Abby's vision and motor skills! And...I LOVE Spencer's 1st word!!
ReplyDeleteOh how exciting!!! We are so glad Abby is doing well. But of course we knew she would, what a smart strong girl! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Spencers first work was Abby ....sooo cute. We love all of you guys and miss you all! xoxxo
ReplyDeleteSo sweet!! I'm sure if you could have chosen, you totally would have picked "Abby" to be Spencer's first word. I'm glad that you had a good week and I LOVE reading the updates!
ReplyDeleteThis blog is great!! I am so glad you guys came in this week. It made my day to see Abby! That is so sweet that Spencer's first word was Abby! Love you all!!!
ReplyDeleteValerie
What wonderful blessings and tender mercies have come your way. Your family has been in our prayers. I love being able to read about Abby's progress and so glad things are going well. You guys are a special family. We love you!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Jen Larsen